I’m a thirty-something wanderer who grew up in Northern California and am trying to find balance between my homebody tendencies and an insatiable desire to travel to places that most people haven’t heard of. I live my life by what feels right and am a firm believer that following my heart is the only way to be truly happy and fulfilled.
My husband and I have been bouncing around Canada and India for the past 4 years, trying to find a place that’s awesome enough to call home. Right now, we’re living in Victoria, British Columbia, enjoying all of the wonder and excitement that comes with being new parents. When we’re not growing food or plotting the next way to reduce our dependence on Big Oil, we’re studying maps and concocting our next great adventure to somewhere not found in guidebooks.
I write about the places I’ve been, the things I love, and the issues that get me riled up.
A few tidbits about me:
1. I went to circus camp every summer growing up.
2. My favorite thing about being a parent is seeing the world through the eyes of a child.
3. I love riding bikes, climbing to the tops of high things, and being barefoot.
4. Maps are one of the greatest inventions ever.
5. I never leave home without my iPod, sunglasses, and a water bottle
6. I love yoga, but hate how expensive it is to join a studio.
7. My bucket list is about 4 pages long.
8. My dad once set up a target in my bedroom and taught me how to shoot a BB gun.
9. I don’t have a favorite country, but Vietnam, India, and Tanzania are 3 of the places I could wander around forever.
10. I’ve climbed Half Dome twice; first when I was 5 and then when I was 25.
11. One day I’m going to own beachfront property and plant my very own mango tree.
12. I once ate a chicken fetus. Now I’m a vegetarian….well mostly.
13. Swimming with dolphins off the coast of Zanzibar was one of the coolest experiences of my life.
14. I’m married to one of my Couchsurfing hosts!
15. Hitchhiking is one of my favorite ways to travel.
16. I’ve only lived in a cold climate once, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I still prefer tropical heat though.
17. I went on my first plane when I was 3 weeks old, and crossed my first international border when I was 4.
18. I grew up going to nude beaches and Grateful Dead concerts.
20. I wish I could speak another language and think it’s terrible that kids in the American school system aren’t required to learn a second language. My kids will be bilingual, maybe even trilingual.
21. I believe in reincarnation.
22. For as long as I can remember I have been intrigued with the African continent and feel most at home there.
23. I haven’t spent nearly enough time exploring the Americas.
24. I am really looking forward to having kids and teaching them all sorts of awesome stuff.
25. Unless it involves hurting someone or something, it’s hard to make me angry.
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. What the world needs is people who have come alive! -Sparrowrose Howard Thurman
All materials on WanderingDona are copyrighted and may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.